Kinetic sculptures
Humming bird kinetic sculpture screenshot from video (link below)
My first experience of kinetic sculptures was way back in the 80s or it may have been even earlier. I had visited an exhibition at the Hayward gallery on the Southbank in London and that was the last time I ever saw a kinetic art exhibition. I found it to be one of the most interesting exhibitions I had ever been to and never forgot that visit.
Years later I visited the Lake District sculpture park, which I found equally inspiring but there the sculptures were static. However it got me thinking, what about a kinetic sculpture park.
When I arrived on Sommerberg in the Black Forest in 2006, I felt this would be a perfect spot for such a project and among friends on Sommerberg we discussed all manner of ideas such as tree walks, sculpture parks and other forest projects.
Sommerberg now has a very impressive tree walk and a new suspension bridge is also being built, nothing to do with me, I should add. However sculptures have also appeared along many of the new walks in the forest but they are still a long way from the ones I saw in the Lake District.
Kinetic sculptures have come a long way since 2006. Theo Jansen's 'Strandbeest' is possibly the most impressive of them all. The video link below shows a variety of kinetic sculptures and the advances made in just 10 years is quite phenominal.
Kinetic sculptures
Link to my kinetic art park project from 2008



Comments
Post a Comment