Weekly rant 2
Well,
it's that time in the week for my weekly rant but this week I don`t
have much to complain about.
That
is apart from possibly my Internet provider. My Internet connection
has a habit of stopping for no apparent reason. When I complain to my
provider it usually restarts straight away, which makes me think
they are manipulating it. However when it does not come back on
straight away or they ignore my messages as has happened a few times,
I threaten them with stopping my payments … then it works again
within minutes of my call despite having been offline for almost 24 hours. So
what is going on there, I ask myself?
I
did ask them for an explanation this week after it happened again but
they ignored that message despite having asked me a few moments
before to install something on my phone. Luckily, I do not have to
rely on them entirely but it does make you wonder about how the whole
Internet system is controlled.
In
Spain for instance companies provide you with basic Internet access,
which is so slow it is almost unusable being only good for
emails as anyone who has ever tried to get information from a high
street business will know. Even the staff at my local Orange shop in Fuengirola only had the the slow connection so that on occasions customers would
be queuing out onto the street, waiting to be served. You can of
course have 4G high speed (soon 5G OMG) at a price. (Advertised all
over the Orange shop, ironically:)) However when your limit is
reached you pay the earth for an extra 1GB of data, which feels more
like a penalty fine and if you complain they say ‘well, you still
have basic Internet’. OH REALLY!
It
is all about speed and they can adjust that at will just like turning
the knob on a cooker. The higher the speed the more expensive it is
for them and for you. They can save themselves money by adjusting your
Internet speed, maybe hoping that you will not notice. Of course
there are a number of other factors that can affect the speed but I
did read somewhere that Internet providers do try and save where they
can and if that means switching off someone’s connection for 24
hours I have no doubt they would do that too.


Comments
Post a Comment