A place to hide
On my descent into
town today I take a new route and come across this hide. I decide to
try it out having recently watched many videos of wildlife photographers whiling away their time in hides and getting fantastic
photos.
After just ten
minutes I already notice the difference. As I am hidden from view in
most directions the birds soon resume their normal behaviour and I
notice much more activity than when I am walking or sat on a wooden
bench. In the distance I notice a number of birds slowly moving
towards the hide, feeding off the ground. At first I think they are
pheasants, then partridge but finally they turn out to be wood
pigeons. Still, although they are common I never see them on the
ground, they usually flit from tree to tree high up and so I have yet
to photograph them. A jay lands nearby but its hidden by tree
branches, I take some snaps despite knowing they will not be much
good. There is a lot of activity but hard to pick anything out.
Then a I hear a
rustling sound coming from behind the hide. It’s not possible to
see in that direction unless I poke my head out and that rather
defeats the object of being in a hide. I wait, then suddenly a hare
goes bounding down the track towards the wood pigeons and they all
take flight. Beyond the wood pigeons I can see an animal of some sort
feeding on the grass verge and it is about the size of a deer. It
looks up as the pigeons fly past and then continues nonchalantly
feeding. It is too far away to be identified but I keep an eye on it
while setting my camera up on its tripod. Then it begins to amble
towards the hide stopping now and again to feed on the grass. I take
a couple of quick shots, and inspect the zoomed in screen.
It’s a female red
deer, I can hardly believe my luck. Then the deer looks up suddenly,
something has disturbed it. Somewhere to the right of the hide I can
hear something big approaching as twigs snap and tree branches are
swept aside. It is quite close to the hide but on the opposite side
of the track to the deer. The deer is frozen to the spot, its head
turned towards the advancing commotion. Suddenly it takes flight,
leaping away from the track down a steep hillside of pine trees where
it disappears into the dark forest below.
Now my attention is
focused on this new visitor. Between the trees I can see something
moving. It stops and I peer into the darkness trying to gauge its
size, then I see a pair of eyes looking in my direction, I wonder,
has seen me. I move away from the opening, hoping not to attract its
attention while still keeping it in view. It begins to move slowly
towards the hide and a shaft of sunlight catches the grey fur of what
looks like a wolf. It slinks out of the trees onto the grass verge
and I grab the camera and fire off a series of shots, it clearly is a
big wolf. It heads straight for the hide and I am sure it has seen
me. It crosses the track and then it is directly under the hide. I
peer down the ladder and there he is looking straight up at me with
teeth bared and making deep growling sounds. Saliva drips from its
mouth and it attempts to climb the first rungs of the ladder … my
heart is in my mouth and beating like crazy...
Well, it would be if
it was true but alas, I saw neither deer nor wolf. However I have
seen hare and deer before and many years ago I was confronted by an
animal, which at the time I put down to being either a deer or wild
dog. We were maybe ten meters apart, staring at each other in
surprise. All I could see between the foliage was a grey head that
was bigger than a deer looking at me. The idea that wolves existed in
the forest at that time was pure fantasy, which was why I put it down
to being either an odd looking deer or wild dog. However now this
area has been designated a wolf protected zone so who knows what may
be encountered in the future and maybe that was a wolf that I saw
back then.
Watch this space.






Comments
Post a Comment