Black Forest rocks


One of the great mysteries of the forest for me are the origins of these enormous rocks. These 'sandstone' 'Buntsandstein' rocks can be found strewn all over the plateau and vary in size from small boulders to giant statues, some much larger than the one shown above.

I am certainly no geologist and having read briefly some articles on the subject I am still none the wiser. As far as I can surmise these rocks stem from the Triassic period around 200 million years ago. Now that is one hell of a long time and yet the rocks look like they were put there yesterday. It is highly unlikely they were transported by man as they are far too big and heavy for most machinery.

They look pristine, no mold or moss growing on them and they are hardly weathered. You would think that after millions of years of rain, they would at least be smoother. More often than not they are cubic in shape, why? I can understand them splitting along the seams, creating flat horizontal surfaces, but even the verticals are almost flat and symmetrical. 

Something to ponder on, anyway. I know a place where there are even more spectacular rocks much larger than the one above and I will endeavor to find the spot again and post some more photos on this subject.

Comments

Popular Posts